Sunday, November 3, 2013

Writing Process

The writing process is unique to every individual. My writing process is not usually well thought out. I just kinda go with what comes to me. Generally, this is because I am in a time crunch for the piece that I am writing and do not have long enough to come up with an in depth draft. This tend to be a problem because I have been told that I sometimes try to write myself into answers instead of having a clear focus from the beginning, so I have been working on trying to get better about this. I generally have an idea of what I am going to write in each paragraph and what points that I am trying to make, but they are not usually written down or expressed in any particular order. Honestly, I usually still follow the whole first sentence of the essay is theme and the last one of the introduction is the thesis, but that is a force of habit. As far as the revising process, I am bad and do not usually revise papers, especially if they are not a large part of my grade and I am short on time. I sometimes reread for grammatical errors, but unless they are super important, the revision process is almost nonexistent. Now that I am in college and I have more time to review things I generally will look over them, but before it was a rare occurrence.
Well, when I compare my writing process to those mentioned in the PDF I think I would definitely fit into the student writer category. The experienced writers take large amounts of time planning and revising, which I do not do. In my future writing projects I will definitely try and focus more on the entire process and put more time and effort into my work. The more I start to sound like an experienced writer the better. This has really made me think more about how much I plan and look over my paper. Instead of just throwing it together and thinking that it sounds alright, I can review and revise it and know that it achieves what it was intended to. My usual writing process sound like it would be much more scatterbrained than if I were to plan properly. Basically, it has made clear that I would rather be in the experienced writers group than the student writers group so I should start doing the proper things in order to help me get there.
The PDF does sound familiar. I have been told time and time again that it is important to make an outline, proofread, and revise our writings. I have never really thought about waiting a few days after you write your first draft to revise it but now it makes total sense. The writings always seem so much better right after you are done writing it than they do a few days later. This PDF really drives home the fact that revision is important and, although I have been taught a lot of this my whole life, the PDF makes the differences a lot more clear than they usually are.



No comments:

Post a Comment