Thursday, November 7, 2013

Those Who Can, Teach



For as long as I can remember, I have never really wanted to be anything but an elementary school teacher. Since my aunt is a kindergarten teacher and my mom is a substitute teacher, it is what I am surrounded with. For some reason, when I was little, I looked up to teachers. I wanted to be like that. They seemed to know everything and always wanted us to be our very best. As I started to get older, I realized how much I could really see myself being a teacher. I could see myself helping all of the little students as they worked on the new materials. I had found what I truly wanted to do.

Let's be honest here, I am never going to get rich being a teacher. People that teach, however, do not do it for the money or the fame, they do it for the knowledge that they are making a positive impact in the lives of the youth. Teachers live to see that light go on in the minds of their students when they finally understand something or make a discovery that they have never thought of before. It is the best feeling in the world knowing that you have made a difference. I took a class my senior year in high school called Careers in Education and it just strengthened my desire to become a teacher. I got to go into my aunt's little kindergarten class and they were just a bright spot in my day. There were some rough patches, but it was an amazing experience. The students got so excited to see me and everyday I walked in to "Miss Morgan!" or "She's here!". One time I even got a standing ovation when I walked in. Anyways, I got so much real life experience that made me really realize that although it would be hard at times, I still wanted to be a teacher. How can you be sad when you are with kids all day? 

Teaching is just so rewarding. I want to have a job where I can really make a difference in lives, not just sit at a desk all day, even if it does make good money. The great thing about teaching is that you get weekends, holidays, and summers off. Also, I do not have to worry about working any crazy hours or random days. Who could argue with that schedule? A teacher also gets to make their own lesson plans and decide how they want to teach. There is definitely never a dull moment when you are teaching, especially when the kids are that little. I really cannot think of a job that I would rather do than be a teacher. It is so rewarding and the feeling you get when the student finally gets it is awesome. I can think of no other major more exciting and rewarding than elementary education. 




No comments:

Post a Comment